Central Electrochemical Research Institute, Karaikudi was established on 1948. CECRI found their roots in the patriotic fervor of Dr. R. M. Alagappa Chettiar, Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru and Dr. Shanthi Swarup Bhatnagar. On January 14, 1953 CECRI became a physical reality when Dr. S. Radhakrishnan dedicated CECRI, the twelfth national laboratory under the CSIR to the nation. CECRI today is a proud family of 427 employees, 137 of whom are scientists. CECRI assists the Indian industry by conducting surveys and undertaking consultancy projects.