Dr. G.U. Pope College of Engineering is named after a great savant of Tamil Literature Dr. G.U. Pope, who prided in calling himself a Tamil scholar. He was responsible for popularizing the glory and richness of Tamil Literature and revealing to the world the wealth of thought in it by translating the classical works like Thirukkural, Naladiar, Manimekalai and Thiruvasagam. He was in Sawyerpuram during the years 1842 - 1849 serving the poor people by starting an educational institution as well as a seminary.