The Government College of Technology, Coimbatore was founded in 1945 as Arthur Hope College of Technology, under the patronage of the philanthropist Gopalswamy Doraiswamy Naidu (G.D. Naidu). The college was offered the offices, workshops, and hostels of National Electric Works for its facilities. In June 1950, the college moved to the present site of about 45 hectares on Thadagam Road, Coimbatore. In 1951, the college was renamed Government College of Technology (GCT) and was initially affiliated to the University of Madras, later to the Bharathiar University. Since the academic year 2001-2002, all undergraduate and postgraduate courses of GCT are affiliated to the Anna University.