Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur is at par with the best engineering institutes of the world. IIT Kharagpur came into existence in 1950 in Hijli, Kharagpur. The Institute was established on the recommendations of N.R.Sarkar committee, which was constituted to consider the setting up of Higher Technical Institutions for post war industrial development in India.
Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur was the first Indian Institute of Technology to come into existence. The Institute started its journey in the old Hijli Detention Camp where some of the great freedom fighters sacrificed their lives for the independence of India. Initially the IIT started functioning from 5, Esplanade East, Calcutta and shifted to Hijli in September 1950. Maulana Abul Kalam Azad formally inaugurated the Institute on August 18, 1951, and the present name `Indian Institute of Technology` was also adopted at that time.