The institute was established in the year 1947 by His Excellency Rama Varma XV, The Maharaja of erstwhile state of Kochi. The institute is managed by Cochin Devaswom Board. The institute is affiliated to University of Calicut. The college has been awarded as grade ‘A’ by NAAC.
The institute is located in a vast lush green campus, only 3 kms away from the heart of Thrissur, the cultural capital of Kerala.
The institute has a well stocked library with collection of more than 70,000 books and is subscribed to national and international journals. Internet connectivity is also available in the library.
Institute provides hostel facilities to boys and girls separately. The girls’ hostel is situated within campus and boys hostel is located at a short distance from campus.