The Lady Hardinge Medical College for women was founded in 1914 to commemorate the visit of Her Majesty Queen Mary in 1911-12. Lady Hardinge the wife of the then viceroy was the first to take initiative for starting a medical college for women, as the lack of seperate medical college for women made it possible for Indian women to study medicine.
The foundation stone of this institution was laid by Lady Hardinge on 17th March, 1914. Unfortunately this great lady died later in the same year and on the suggestion of Queen Mary the college and the hospital was named after Lady Hardinge to perpetuate the memory of its founder. The college started under the able leadership of Dr. Kate Platt, who was the first Principal of the college. The duration of course covered a period of 7 years including 2 years of pre-medical intermediate science course or Punjab University.