Jabalpur Engineering College, Jabalpur was established on 7 July, 1947 when the entire global chess board was witnessing a dramatic change. It was born just a few months before India broke the shackles of British slavery.This illustrious Institution got the distinction of being the Second Engineering College in India and is the premier institution of Engineering Education in Central India. Thanks to the inspired vision of the great pioneering Principal Dr. S.P. Chakravarti. From a very small room in old Robertson College, this tiny icon has grown into a mighty oak tree, which is now 63 years old and has celebrated its Diamond Jubilee in the year 2007. The Jabalpur Engineering College since its inception has a well equipped High Voltage Laboratory and Telecommunication Department which was not available in any other contemporary colleges. Even before the advent of Television in the country, Telecommunication Lab was established in this college. The former has been made as one of the Centers of Excellence by Govt. of India in recognition of its contribution in the area of High-Voltage research and testing. It is getting grants from government of India to further promote its research and development activities. The college also has the distinction of being the first in India to offer BE degree in Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering.