Infosys Chairman expresses disappointment of having poor quality IITians-Admission Jankari
  • Connect With Us

Infosys Chairman expresses disappointment of having poor quality IITians

rates: 1 avg: 1
Published : 04 Oct, 2011 By: Admission Jankari
  • On the occasion of ’Pan IIT’ summit, recently, N. R. Narayana Murthy, Chairman, Infosys, while addressing the whole audience expressed his disappointment over the quality of IITians who pas from various IITs every year. He said, “The quality of students entering Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) has deteriorated over the years due to the coaching classes that prepare engineering aspirants.

    He said the majority of the students fare poorly at jobs and global institutions of higher education.

    Praising a few students at these prestigious institutes, Murthy said, “Apart from the top 20 per cent of students who crack the tough IIT entrance examination and can stand among the best anywhere in the world, quality of the remaining 80 per cent of students leave much to be desired.”

    Commenting on the present scenario, Murthy tried to arrive at a solution and said, “This has to be corrected. A new method of selection of students to IITs has to be arrived at.”

    “It has to be ensured that IITs transcend from being just teaching institutions to reasonably good research institutes at par with Harvard and MIT in the next 10-20 years. Few IITs have done well in producing PhDs but in reality when we compare ourselves to institutions in this country, we have a long way to go,” he said.

    Murthy also talked about that for the inception of such research institutes there is a need to persuade government to initiate such institutions which can fund these research institutes.

    Also, according to Murthy, “Faculty members should also be evaluated annually on their research performance by an independent committee.” He further added, “India must shift from the tenure system for its faculty to a five year contractual appointment system.”

    Mr. Murthy also stressed the need to have the governing council of IITs made up of its alumni. He said, “The only way IITs can become better is if 80-90 per cent of members on their governing council are alumni. Nobody is bothered about an institution more than its alumni. We must somehow persuade the government of India to let go of its control and make sure majority of the council members is the IIT alumni.”

    Mr. Murthy concluded by saying, “While only a couple of IITs feature in the top 50, there should be at least five IITs in the top 10 engineering schools in the world in the next 10-20 years.”             

Facebook Fan


450 characters left

Most Viewed College