B.E or B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering is a professional course of 4 years span which concentrates on the concepts such as mechanics, thermodynamics, robotics, kinematics, structural analysis, fluid mechanics and many others. These concepts are applied in the process of designing state-of-the-art manufacturing units, different types of motor vehicles, aircraft and aerospace parts and a vast assortment of industrial machinery. Mechanical engineers also contribute in the development of various engines, power plant equipment, heating and cooling systems and other simple and complex machinery. Mechanical engineers not only design new mechanical systems but they are also responsible for testing, maintaining and manufacturing them. Aspirants who have completed this degree have a great future head. They can go for various higher studies or else they can pursue various certification courses. They have various career opportunities as well.
After successful completion of the graduate program, aspirants can take admission in two-year masters program in mechanical engineering or ME/M.Tech. If any aspirants are interested in pursuing a post-graduate programme in mechanical engineering from any of the IITs, then you must appear for the Graduate Aptitude Test for Engineers (GATE).
Recently many engineering colleges are offering a dual (BE/B.Tech and ME/M.Tech) programmes. Some other institutions are providing a combination of an engineering degree along with a management programme.
In case aspirants are interested in further studies, can go do a PhD or even opt for a management degree from a reputed business school.
Companies for Job Perspective
1. Automobile and auto part manufacturers
2. Aerospace industry
3. Various Government sector undertakings
4. Aviation companies
5. Steel plants
6. Thermal plants and gas turbine manufacturers
7. Air conditioning and refrigeration industry
8. Shipping industry
9. Engineering consultancies
10. Armed forces
Companies which Hire B.E or B.Tech Graduate
1. It is advisable to earn a Post-Graduate degree in this field
2. Computer knowledge is mandatory these days.
3. Aspirants must have excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
4. A management degree further brightens aspirants career prospects.
Pros and Cons
1. There are numerous job openings and candidates will not remain unemployed.
2. Regular changes in the development of new components, gadgets and machines.
3. Never hit by recession or global economic meltdown.
4. Immense opportunities in PSUs.
1. Working conditions can be unfavorable at certain times.
2. Deadlines and work pressure can generate heavy stress on the body and mind.
3. More physical labor as site visit.