B.J. Medical college was started in 1871 as the Ahmedabad Medical School with the intake of 14 students for Hospital Assistant training. In 1879, it was renamed after the late Hon. Byramjee Jeejabhoy who donated Rs.20,000/- to erect this magnificent building and was attached to the Civil Hospital at Gheekanta road. It was affiliated to the Gujarat University in 1951 for Undergraduation and in 1956 for Postgraduation. With the intake of 250 students per year, B.J. Medical College is one of the largest source of medical manpower is the country. Our doctors span the world today as evidenced by the presence of the B.J. Medical Alumni Association in U.S.A., U.K. and other parts of the world. The admission of M.B.B.S. Students of Gujarat State is centralized at B.J. Medical College. This sprawling campus also contains Govt. Dental College and Hospital, College of Nursing, Regional Family Planning Centre, College of Physiotherapy and voluntary Blood Bank forming an ideal self-sufficient medical complex.