Safdarjung Hospital started as an American Army Base Hospital during the II World war. In 1947 it was made annexe to Irwin Hospital (Presently LNJP Hospital). It was taken over by the Central Government in 1954 and named as Safdarjung Hospital. Until the inception of All India Institute of Medical Science in 1956, Safdarjung Hospital was the only tertiary care hospital in South Delhi. Based on the needs and developments in medical care the hospital has been regularly upgrading its facilities from diagnostic and therapeutic angles in all the specialties. The hospital when started in 1942 had only 204 beds, which has since increased to 1531 beds. The hospital provides medical care to millions of citizens not only of Delhi but also the neighbouring states free of cost. Safdarjung Hospital is a Central Government Hospital under the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare and is receives its budget from the Ministry. Safadarjung Hospital has a Medical College associated with it named Vardhman Mahavir Medical College.